AIIMS' contribution in the fields of medical education, research and specialized treatment is extensively recognized. The chief objective of the institute is to exhibit high-standard of medical education, training of personnel and to conduct experiments and research in numerous disciplines of medical sciences. All- India Institute of Medical Sciences was established as an organization of national importance by an Act of Parliament with the objects to develop patterns of teaching in Undergraduate and Post-graduate Medical Education in all its divisions in order to demonstrate a high standard of Medical Education in India; to blend in one place educational facilities of the highest order for the training of personnel in all imperative branches of health activity; and to accomplish self-sufficiency in Post-graduate Medical Education. The Institute has comprehensive facilities for teaching, research and patient-care. As provided in the Act, AIIMS conducts teaching programs in medical and para-medical courses both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and rewards its own degrees. Teaching and research are conducted in 42 disciplines. In the arena of medical research AIIMS is the lead, having more than 600 research publications by its faculty and researchers in a year. AIIMS also runs a College of Nursing and trains students for B.Sc.(Hons.) Nursing post-certificate) degrees.
Twenty-five clinical departments comprising four super specialty centers manage virtually all kinds of disease conditions with support from pre- and Para-clinical departments. However, burn cases, dog-bite cases and patients suffering from infectious illnesses are not entertained in the AIIMS Hospital. AIIMS also manages a 60-beded hospital in the Comprehensive Rural Health Centre at Ballabgarh in Haryana and provides health cover to about 2.5 lakh population through the Centre for Community Medicine.
LocationAIIMS Main Hospital is situated at Ansari Nagar, in front of Safdarjung Hospital at the crossing of Ring Road and Aurobindo Marg. Main entrance is on Aurobindo Marg.
Number of beds, doctors, nurses etc.The hospital has an aggregate of 1766 beds (incl. newly constructed Emergency & Private wards). There are 1323 doctors (incl. Faculty members, Sr. and Jr. Residents) And 1810 Nurses.
Outpatient servicesSuper Speciality Services: following centers offer these services-
- Cardio Thoracic and Neuro Sciences Centre.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences.
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital.
- National Drugs Dependency Treatment Centre, Ghaziabad.
- Many facilities are provided at OPD level e.g. ECG, Plaster, Injection and Immunization Room, Contraception and MTP Services, Minor Surgical Intervention, Physiotherapy, Bronchoscopy,
- Medical fitness / Medical examination and other such certificates are issued after paying the requisite fees. For this purpose contact the central registration office, ground floor OPD.
- The decision to admit a patient rests with the handling doctor. The patient will be admitted only if an empty bed is available. But, in case of emergency, out of turn admission might be done.
- Wheel chairs, patient trolleys etc. are obtainable free of charge at the entrance of OPD.
- OPDs have waiting hall with chairs, STD booth, TVs, lifts, ramp for Ortho OPD, public conveniences like drinking water and toilets etc. at each floor.
- You should park your vehicle in the paid parking only else it is likely to be towed away.
- To meet every-day needs of patients, there is canteen and grocery shop in front of the private ward block; medical stores, book shops, general store and STD booths in the underpass close by. Outpatient & emergency facilities
- All in-patients get treatment by team of resident doctors and nurses, available round the clock, under the management and guidance of Faculty Members of AIIMS.
- Hospital attendants are accessible in diverse wards to aid in patient care and related activities.
- All the wards are effusively fortified with contemporary gadgets and equipments e.g. ventilators, monitors, defibrillators, nebulisers; central O2 & suction supply etc. to provide top quality medical care.
- Indoor services have central air conditioning, hot and cold water, toilets, portable X-ray machines, ECG services – (2nd floor, C2 ward), generator back up, emergency lights, internal telephone, chairs for attendants etc.
- Waste disposal is done as per the customary rules (Biomedical waste management and handling rules, 1998) and extreme care is taken to keep the premises neat and clean.
- Every inpatient is offered with two attendant passes.
- Visitors are permissible only during reported visiting hours i.e. 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Special Inquiries like USG, CT, MRI etc. are changed as per the rates approved by Government and revised from time to time.
- For very poor patients, on reference of treating doctor, the hospital charges might be waived off by Med. Supdt./ his nominee and expensive drugs/surgical items might be provided by the hospital. Financial assistance is also available via Prime Minister's Relief Fund, NIAF and other such funds. You can contact Medical Social Service Dept. & Welfare Officer in this regard.
- Bed linen is changed at the time of admission, afterwards on every alternate day and also whenever required.
- Food is served three times a day. Also, tea is provided in the morning.
- Facilities provided in private ward – Each room has attached toilets & bath room, T.V. with cable connection, Refrigerator, A.C., sofas, bed for attendant, chairs and table, geyser, emergency light, phone with incoming facility etc.
- Impoverished unattended patients are provided with attendants from hospital, drugs and surgical items are provided from hospital and all hospital charges are waived. Medical Social Service Officers aid in location and calling the relatives/family members of unattended/unknown patients. Destitute patients are transferred to some destitute home after discharge from hospital.
- Short admissions necessitating stay for less than 24 hours are done for trivial illness/some investigations/Interventions. Right now, the admission charges for this are Rs. 60/-
- Day care facility is accessible for certain kinds of operations. E.g. laproscopic surgery; day care chemotherapy; blood transfusion, dialysis, endoscopies and similar interventions.
Operation TheatersThe institute has completely equipped contemporary Operation Theatres, where all types of major and minor surgeries are implemented using the newest methods and technology. For routine surgeries, the respective departments maintain waiting list. Patients are called and operated upon according to the waiting list. But, in case of emergencies/urgencies, the out of turn operations are also implemented, at the discretion at the treating doctors. The patient should get is Pre-Anesthetic checkup done in PAC Room on 5th floor OPD Block during afternoon before getting admitted for operation and follow the directives given by the treating Doctors.
ICUsThe hospital has fully fortified Main ICU at 8th Floor, AB wing to offer expert ICU care. There are ICUs/HDUs in few wards of main hospital and CTVS ICU & NS ICU in CN Centre. Patients necessitating urgent ICU care are admitted to ICUs at the discretion of treating doctors.
- Emergency Lab – 24 hours, throughout the year, for all emergency examinations.
- Routine Lab – Sample Collection Timings:-
- – Weeks Days – 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- – Saturday – 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- All kind of routine and special investigations incl. Biochemical, microbiological, pathology, immunology and hereditary studies are done at AIIMS.