Medical tourism in India is moving on a skyward scale. It, therefore, is essential that one should be
conscious about the imperative medical legal guideline so that the requisite and interest of the
individuals eyeing for health care in India must be met. The Indian Government has formulated a
number of frameworks comprising of medical legal guidelines. If there is any issue or the treatment
done is not agreeable, there is no legal remedy for patients in the global boundaries. Patients and their
attendants must be well-aware of all the legal rules and medical concerns that are involved as there can
be a case of improbability in medical treatments and processes.
Present scenario of medical visa in India
A medical visa is issued by the government of India to every medical traveler. This visa can be stretched
over for over one year. A patient who gets this extension, he or she can visit India on medical tour in
India, three times in a year, together with an attendant who can be a friend or any relative.
Validity of visa and the extension of visa
In the beginning, a visa is valid for the period of the treatment or for a span of a year, whichever is less.
This can be extended further for a year by the FRROs or the State Government if the patients show the
medical documentation or if the same is recommended by recognized/reputed/specialized medical
institutions in India. If extension is required after this also, the Ministry of Affairs has the power to do
this on reference of FRROs or the State Government, supported by accurate medical papers. This type of
a visa is valid for a maximum of 3 visits to India in span of one year. Permission for one additional entry
can also be given by FRRO/the State Government in the case of emergency circumstances. Following are
the events and the conditions for which one can apply for a medical visa to India:
- The Indian Posts/Mission can scrutinize the medical papers in a vigilant manner to feel gratified
to look for the genuine reasons for which the medical treatment visa is being applied.
- The Mission might also be satisfied that the applicant (patient) has sought preliminary medical
assistance in the country of his residence or nation of origin and has been asked to seek special
medical treatment. If any foreign national is keen on treatment via Indian system of medicines,
that is also possible.
- This type of visa must be granted for getting medical aid only at
reputable/specialized/recognized hospitals in India. Though the following list is not complete,
but these can be some of the sicknesses such as ophthalmic disorders, renal disorders, neuro –
surgery, joint replacement, plastic surgery, organ transplant, etc. The key idea is that the
mission must be satisfied that the foreign national is in a serious requisite of medical treatment
Following are some significant medical guidelines to be kept in mind by every visitor so as to avoid any
problem in medical treatment or procedure:
- Firstly, you must make certain that the hospital in India that you are visiting is authorized or not.
It should have recognition from a Joint Commission International, a commission or anyinternational healthcare auditing agency. The quality and the cost of the patient care are two
other chief contemplations.
- Then, try to gather all the vital details about the doctors at the hospital before you choose them.
Look up for their qualifications, credentials and accomplishments. Internet makes things easier.
- Another imperative thing is that the patient should be well cognizant about the treatment and
process that you are seeking so that your anticipations from the surgery are realistic. He or she
must also have knowledge about physical therapy, period of retrieval and post-surgery care.
- Do not forget to meet your doctor before the processes begin. Before anything, detailed
personal examination and assessments of the patients are done by maximum of the hospitals,
before carrying out any medical process. There is also a possibility that the doctor may not
contemplate you fit for the treatment and may also recommend another treatment after the
- Make a file or a folder of all the essential documents accompanied by their photocopy. Keep the
originals at a secure place.
- Make another file of all the medical reports, and health records such as health history, X-rays,
photograph, scans, MRI’s immunization records, etc., that are related to the medical process.
- Make certain you have your Visa and Passport, accompanied by other things like travelers’
check, credit cards, debit cards, and obviously, some local currency as well.
- Carrying your driver’s license, which is valid till the time of your travel, is also indispensable.